FRIENDS OF ROMILEY PARK
Minutes of Meeting held on 07 May 2019 @ 10.00am at The Life Centre. Romiley.
Present: -Tracey Adams (Chair), Beryl & Alan Smith, Jean Bartlett, Pam Reed, Philippa Bonorino, Peter Birchenhough & Glenys Backhouse. Angie Clarke failed to arrive..
Apologies: Debbie Barraclough,Jill Lince & Abdulnasser.
1. Minutes of the Meeting on 05 March 2019 were accepted as a correct record.
2. Treasurer'sReport – PR reported that the balance is currently£2869.03 with one outstanding payment to be made to AS in the sum of £226.80. This is for the plants from Howards Nurseries.
3. Action Plan for 2019
▪ Notice Board - Smaller version at the Compstall Rd entrance required. JB
▪ Convenience store has closed. Future use? Litter bin required? C&C. No news.
▪ Compstall Rd beds done and dusted. Look good (Subject to Jill’s ok)
▪ 132 perennials planted in the centre bed. All surviving at present.
▪ Signage for Carlton Ave entrance required.
▪ The double fence and hedge along the school boundary belong to the school. We cannot find a solution to brambles, litter etc. What are our options? See JB.
▪ The reduction in width of the laurel hedge along the southern boundary has been completed but the work has revealed many roots on the surface and stumps of bushes. This is particularly dangerous in the open grassed area. JB has been asked to seek a solution. Now becoming urgent with Fun Day on 22 June.
▪ When the roots etc of the laurel have been removed we will trial an area of wild flower meadow using either turf or seed/soil mix. Costs to be investigated. Advance works will be discussed with JB
▪ A grant application to purchase two London Plane trees to complete the avenue was unsuccessful but it was agreed that the trees should be purchased from our current funds. AS to contact AC.
▪ TH proposed that we revisit our plan to plant a group of silver birch near the gym equipment to create a focal point from the front of the park. AC to advise.AS to contact re meeting.
▪ Play area requires a few new floor paintings. TA to establish costs from RB. Decision nextmeeting.
▪ Efforts are being made to clear the brambles at the rear of properties on Carlton Ave and expose the shrubs and trees. Good progress but very hard work. Should we grass the areas? JB
4. Community Fun Day
The 2019 event will be held on 22 June. Application approved by SMBC. DB/JM/GS/KW/DT are organising. Next meeting in 24 May. AS to ensure we have large gazebo for Romiley Bake Off (see JB).
Plants/leaflets required for our stand.
All work completed and fully operational. Individual attractions to be added.E.g. Gin & Prosecco.
6. Graphics of Centre Bed
TH has the solution. Details awaited.
7 Garden Clothing
• All volunteers have now provided details of their choice of worktops. AS to seek best price and order. T-shirts to be ordered for Fun Day volunteers.
7. Next Meeting will be on 2nd July 2019 at 10.00hrs at The Life Centre.
TA expressed thanks to Life Centre for hosting our meetings.
Gardening: 14th May, 25th May, 18th June & 29th June 10.00.till Noon.
Volunteers required. All welcome